Sunday, August 26, 2007

Internship and AQ

On Monday April 23rd I went to get the mail and low and behold there was a letter from the DSBN. I figured because it got there only 2 business days after my interview I must have really sucked and this was the "you suck" letter. Much to my surprise it was the letter telling me my interview was successful and I was now on the eligible to hire list for Niagara - I could now apply to job postings!

On April 24th I started my Special Education additional qualification course online. April 30th started our internship which is a program that only OISE offers. It's a final placement that you have to find and secure yourself, which can be hard. I was doing mine in Special Ed which I was looking forward to. I hoped between the AQ and the Internship I would have more job opportunities open to me.

While I worked on my AQ and Internship I continued to apply for jobs. Several came up in the DSBN that I could do, but I didn't hear anything. Right before the long weekend in May there was a job posting for a music position at a school in Niagara Falls. It was only 1 section, but it was contract, which was a foot in the door, so I thought I would try. As I looked through the website to find the Principal's name imagine my surprise when up pops a picture of my old vice principal from when I was in high school. He was now the Principal at the school where the music posting was. I emailed him my resume and he emailed me back almost immediately - even though it was the Friday evening of the long weekend. We corresponded back and forth a few times, and as luck would have it, he offered me an interview for the following Thursday. I was super excited just to have a chance. I talked to a lot of the teachers at the school I was currently at and they said often the Principal just offers you the job on the spot. I was very excited!

No comments: