Sunday, August 26, 2007

Interview

So when I started my internship the very first day I was walking through the halls with my new associate teacher/supervisor and she was showing me around. She turned to one side to point something out and in a half a second I was on the floor. I had fallen over, tripped on nothing really. Stupid shoes. It was fully embarrassing, especially because it was my first day. I did the exact same thing 4th period that day. I felt like an idiot.

When I was leaving for my interview I had been at the school for about 3 weeks now, and I was leaving the teachers were all saying "good luck....don't fall down!" and it came to be a bit of a running joke. I am very klutzy and clumsy and I do fall down a lot or bang into things.

I arrived a bit early for my interview and I spoke to one of the teachers there. The head of the math department turned out to be the father of a friend of mine - a girl I went to high school with. He was incredibly encouraging and relaxed me a bit ahead of time. It also helped that I was schmoozing with a department head in the office in front of the admin. I went into the office with the Principal and we made small talk for a few brief moments, and then into the very formal interview. Now in these interviews I make every effort to appear put together and grown up. I had my suit on, my heels and my hair up in a bun. While we were sitting talking, my hair flipped out of my bun and into a ponytail like a little kid. I didn't know whether he saw, whether I should fix it or not, but I just kept going feeling like an idiot.

The interview finished and I did quite well I thought, for my first Principal interview. I was waiting for him to hand me the key to the school when he said he had about 20 people he was interviewing for this position, and still had 10 or so to see. I was pretty deflated. I walked out of his office and saw another candidate sitting there waiting to go in. She told me good luck, and I said it back. Really, I wanted to kick her. Instead I turned around and talked to the Principal about how great it was to see him again - I wanted to psych her out. Mean, I know, but this is a competitive market! He said I would find out Tuesday when the board postings went up on the internet if I got the job. If my name was beside the posting I did, if not, then I didn't. Pretty harsh way to find out.

So the weekend came and went I and kept looking for a job and sending out resumes. I wasn't overly hopeful about the job, but you never know. Tuesday I got a call on my cell while I was at the school. I could hear it vibrating in my backpack and knew I had a message. Normally I would have checked the message in the teachers office but it was full with people in a meeting. I went to the washroom so I could listen, and could get almost no reception. I had to stand on the toilet, but it was Tuesday, and it was a number I didn't know, so of course I was going to listen. It was the Principal. He said "I'm just calling to tell you........CONGRATULATIONS!!!" He turned into a game show host it was hilarious. I was so excited. The teacher in the Special Ed room sent me home knowing I would be no good to her until I told my husband.

It was fabulous news. Not only did I had a job, but I had a teaching job, a contract, in my field, and before school was even over! It was only one section (full time is 6) but it was a start.

No comments: