Sunday, August 26, 2007

Second Practicum

Second practicum was much more challenging than the first one for me. History was not my strong subject and required a lot more prep for me. I would spend a few hours each night doing prep. I rarely did marking at home, and I usually did an hour or so of prep at school every day. The classes I taught were both grade 10 applied classes. Applied kids get a bad rep I think in a lot of ways. Behaviourally there are more problems sure, but it's not because the kids are bad usually, it's because they are bored, or they think they can't do the work. In my limited experience I have found most kids are in applied level classes because they are lazy, don't care, or have been told they need to take applied because they can't do academic classes. It's very rarely because they aren't smart or aren't capable. I think all student teachers should teach applied or essential level classes at some point. Teaching academic kids can be a lot easier. They usually want to be there, and are like sponges, they soak up whatever you give them. Applied is more of a challenge to the teacher.

I was petrified going into my second practicum but I really enjoyed it. I had a good AT who was willing to let me try things. The kids would often ask him if they could go to the washroom or for a pencil or stuff like that and he would always say "go ask your teacher" and go back to his book he was pretending to read. He left me alone with the class from time to time which although he wasn't really supposed to do, I appreciated. It's really hard to develop a relationship with the kids if someone is watching all the time. It's weird and artificial. I tried to take his advice and incorporate it. I talked to some student teachers who really did feel they knew enough already and didn't need advice. I do believe I am/will be a good teacher, but I also acknowledge I have a lot to learn. I hope I never get to feel I am too good to take advice.

Second practicum was completed successfully and it was back to school for 3 more weeks.

No comments: